Vice President, Global Strategy - Stamford , Connecticut, United States, 06901
WWE is an integrated media organization and recognized leader in global entertainment. WWE's PG, family-friendly programming is broadcast in more than 180 countries and 25 languages and reaches more than 800+ million homes worldwide. The award-winning WWE Network is the first-ever direct-to-consumer premium network with more than 1.7 million subscribers. WWE is also a leader and innovator on social media, with more than 1 billion followers worldwide. WWE is the #1 sports channel on YouTube, and the #2 most viewed channel in the world overall.
WWE's Global Strategy group partners closely with the executive team to lead critical strategic and operational initiatives across all our business lines. To support our growing pipeline of key initiatives, WWE is hiring a Vice President of Global Strategy to tackle some of the biggest questions facing the company.
As part of our charter, the Global Strategy group maintains a focus on 4 key pillars:
- Long Term Corporate Strategy (evaluating the changing M&E landscape, identifying opportunity spaces, and ensuring WWE is positioned to win in the future)
- Internal Consulting (partnering with WWE's lines of business to strategize for growth)
- Corporate Development (VC investments, M&A, JV, and other inorganic growth opportunities)
- Innovation (incubating new opportunities that re-imagine existing businesses, and facilitate entry into whitespaces and adjacencies)
This position will lead teams across all 4 pillars of the Global Strategy group, with a primary focus on pillars 1) Long Term Corporate Strategy, and 2) Internal Consulting.
The ideal candidate will be a thought-leader on trends and events impacting the Sports, Media, and Entertainment landscape, and will bring a strong, structured strategy toolkit and experience to a fast-paced environment.
This position will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Global Strategy, and will be based at our headquarters in Stamford CT.
- Lead the ongoing definition and evolution of our corporate long-term strategy in partnership with the SVP Global Strategy. Evangelize key principles and strategic themes to guide our approach to all supporting strategic initiatives, including organic/inorganic growth, annual investment plans, new business generation, etc.
- Analyze quantitative (e.g. market analysis, consumer trends, economic conditions, etc.) and qualitative (e.g. competitive strategies, winning applications etc.) market feedback to establish strategic and tactical measures to support long-term growth initiatives
- Lead 'internal-consulting' projects that explore, evaluate, and recommend strategies and tactics to support WWE's corporate priorities across its various Lines of Business
(Content Distribution, Network, Consumer Products, Live Events, Digital, Global Sales, etc.)
- Analyze market activity, develop structures for assessing key trends, and synthesize implications on the future of the market and on WWE's business - particular emphasis placed on the Distribution, International, and Digitization arenas
- Support the creation of materials for the Board of Directors and Executive leadership to communicate our perspective on key market trends, and strategic implications on WWE
- Lead cross-functional teams from Global Strategy and several areas across WWE including Analytics, Finance, Research, LOB to develop strategic recommendations
- Drive and execute several real-time initiatives that further the strategic direction of the organization in an 'agile' manner
- Effectively build relationships and collaborate with team members across multiple lines of business and functional departments
- Assist the SVP in managing team operations including the allocation of team resources to the initiative pipeline - proactively suggest and lead implementation of new approaches that continue to make the team more efficient and effective
- Provide mentorship and direction to junior team members, and contribute to the Strategy team's collective toolkit to continually enhance our effectiveness as an organization
- MBA required with 12+ years of experience in Strategy, Corp Dev, Business Development or similar roles within Sports, Media, Entertainment
- Ideal candidate will have experience at leading strategy consulting, investment banking, private equity, or venture capital firms
- Deep understanding of and experience in the Media & Entertainment industry - familiarity with Digital Media, OTT / DTC distribution, and key market disruptions a plus
- Intellectual curiosity, with an interest in the sports, media and entertainment industries - ability to synthesize key market developments to develop strategic implications for WWE
- Proven ability to independently drive all facets of a strategy initiative from identifying the question, structuring and performing complex analyses, managing teams against key workstreams, and presentations for executive leadership
- Unique ability to balance analytical rigor with a bias for action - ability to draw on structures from the consulting / strategy toolkit, with a predisposition to produce fast, practical recommendations
- Low-ego - equally comfortable giving and receiving direction, leading and contributing as appropriate, driving executive conversations or supporting as necessary
- High EQ - strong ability to 'read the room' and adjust approach, management tactics, and communication style as appropriate
- High clock-speed - ability to rapidly get to an '80/20' answer, and comfort tailoring the analytical approach as necessary given project timelines
- Experience and comfort managing across several concurrent projects of varying structures, including long-term strategy, internal consulting engagements, and projects that lend a strategic perspective to immediate business opportunities
- Expert verbal and written communicator - ability to cut through the noise and convey highly nebulous and complex concepts in a direct and succinct manner
- Demonstrated direct team leadership experience in similar consulting / banking / strategy environments, and indirect team leadership of cross-functional resources
- Dedication to mentoring junior staff, including a desire to evangelize senior-level consulting / strategy skills across the team
- Outstanding ability to build consensus around direction and effectively lead discussions toward resolution
- Critical thinker who is adept at rapidly identifying the key drivers of a business issue and developing / leading analyses that produce actionable insights
- Passion for exploring and understanding new technologies, business models, and their potential impact on the competitive landscape and WWE's core business
- Strong experience interacting with and presenting to senior executives
- Openness to an environment of active developmental feedback and coaching from peers and managers, with desire to learn and grow rapidly