Strategy Engagement Director (Technology) - San Antonio, Texas, United States, 78245
The needs of our members, their expectations and fast-paced lives require us to change the way we provide solutions and operate as we strive to deliver on our mission. Members have an unprecedented number of options to manage their financial lives with more digitally-enabled choices coming to market every day. The stakes have never been higher, given that every business in which USAA operates is undergoing transformative change, with many unknowns and a fluid competitive landscape, largely driven by new digital capabilities brought to market by highly-nimble, technology-centered companies.
As a pioneer in the financial services industry, USAA has a unique opportunity to leverage its core strengths and extend them into a hyper-connected world of mobility, artificial intelligence and voice. In so doing, we will provide our members with highly humanized and personal digital experiences, contextually delivered where and when they need us.
We also seek to shape disruption - not just experience disruption - thereby serving our members in innovative ways and creating new engines of growth for USAA.
To help enable this ambitious transformation, we are seeking a highly talented and motivated Technology & Digital Strategy Engagement Manager to serve in this newly created position. The engagement manager will report directly to USAA's Senior Strategy Officer for Technology and Digital. The successful candidate will help drive the strategic agenda around how USAA and its lines of business will use technology, digital and data to serve members in dramatically new and better ways, transform how they work, and shape disruption.
* Drives and supports a range of strategic initiatives around technology, digital and data, partnering with both business and technology stakeholders
* Understands ongoing developments in the broader FinTech and digital ecosystem and their implications for USAA, isolating signal from noise
* Identifies and evaluates new disruptive business opportunities enabled by technology and partnerships / alliances. Potential areas may include (but are not limited to): payments, lending, identity protection and management, connected auto/home/life, and advice.
* Supports creation of senior executive briefings for the Board (e.g., strategic plan), Executive Council, Rating Agencies and other forums as required
* Clearly defines strategic choices and their implications to drive fact-based prioritization
* Communicates grounded recommendations to senior leaders and their broader organizations, influencing upwards and laterally to drive organizational change and alignment
* Ensures recommendations are driven through to implementation by providing thought leadership and enabling execution
* Develops and implements analytical frameworks to monitor and optimize the concrete impact technology and digital initiatives are having on member and financial outcomes
* Mentors less experienced members of the team.
Utilizes expertise, industry experience, analysis and innovation to provide insights that inform and develop strategy recommendations to internal clients. Develops fact bases, articulates hypotheses and underlying assertions. Leverages analytics, executes work plans, delivers final outcomes, recommendations, and action plans for the client. Effectively collaborates with LOB/Staff area project champions and key stakeholders to maximize execution likelihood and impact of the strategy.
Leads definition and decomposition of problem statement into key hypotheses, assertions and key work streams working backwards from where the leverage is thought to be. Assembles key participants and facilitates cross-functional teams in the strategy development.
* Leads highly complex strategy initiatives typically requiring confidentiality and enterprise-level visibility.
* Assists Leadership to facilitate scoping/framing sessions. Works closely with teams and resources to achieve milestones within established timeframes.
* Leads and/or oversees analytic work streams, partnering with key teams to uncover and interpret strategic insights.
* Continuously leverages expert data-driven problem solving techniques and analytical rigor, to manipulate, interpret, and study competitive intelligence and business data to translate into insights for strategy development.
* Leverages data assets, competitive intelligence, consumer/segment intelligence, economic/financial intelligence, and market trends to drive insights, hypotheses validation or refinement, and ultimately the answer to the case.
* Actively manages ambiguity and consistently seeks to drive clarity amongst team, partners and key stakeholders.
* Proactively communicates high quality updates to key stakeholders, to include senior level executive stakeholders.
* Collaborates with key stakeholders and LOB leaders to deliver written and verbal recommendations to senior executives that provide clear guidance on strategy timeline, owners required investments, and expected results.
* Mentors less experienced members of the team.
* Bachelor's Degree in a Business, Engineering or Science discipline required.
* 8 or more years of business experience demonstrating proficiency in technical consulting skills Or A Master's Degree in a Business or a related discipline and 6 or more years business experience demonstrating proficiency in technical consulting skills Or A Master's Degree in a Business or a related discipline and 2 or more years' experience of strategy consulting experience
* Proven track record in project execution environment.
* Proven track record influencing business decisions.
* Subject Matter Expert with Technical Consulting Skills: Hypothesis-driven problem solving; Primary Market research (e.g. interviews); Secondary Market research (e.g. desk research); Data analysis (e.g. what-if, sensitivity, etc.); Synthesis (e.g. so what?); Pyramid Principle / Story Telling; Written Communications; Visual display of quantitative information; PowerPoint / Excel; Presentation skills; Meeting Leadership; Verbal Communications; Teaming ; Project Planning
* Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
* Master's Degree in a Business or a related discipline and 6 or more years business experience demonstrating proficiency in technical consulting skills, or Master's Degree in a Business or a related discipline and 2 or more years' experience of strategy consulting experience
* Passion for using technology to reinvent existing business models, create new businesses and better serve our members
* In-depth understanding of key technology trends (e.g., mobility, APIs, cloud, artificial intelligence and machine learning, Blockchain, etc.) and their impact on financial services
* Strong familiarity with the FinTech ecosystem and emerging partnerships with traditional competitors across insurance, banking and investments
* In-depth understanding of the digital and emerging payments landscape (e-commerce, m-commerce and proximity mobile commerce), including the growing importance of large digital platforms and tokenization
* Experience with creating business cases around technology-enabled disruptive business models grounded in customer needs
* Experience with driving technology-driven transformations within organizations
* High motivation and self-direction, taking personal ownership for results and professional development
* Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to prioritize, thriving in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
* Ability to establish key partnerships and facilitate, influence, collaborate and establish account ability through all levels of the organization
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 03/01/18 by 11:59 pm CST time.