Strategy Director Valiant Labs - Portland, Oregon, United States, 97201
Like any winning team, Nike, Inc. relies on talented, ambitious individuals to thrive. Every day, the Corporate Service teams raise the bar on excellence. The diverse disciplines that make up these teams include Finance, Facilities, Legal, Human Resources, Procurement, Child Development, Administrative Support, Strategic Planning and more. Corporate Services drives innovation in process, technologies and services, while fueling the company with exceptional levels of support.
This is a unique opportunity to join Valiant Labs, a fast-moving entrepreneurial team currently exploring the edges of possibility. We move with speed and purpose, taking calculated risks and failing fast - all with one goal in mind: serving consumers in new and unimagined ways. In support of that mission, we are currently seeking an experienced Director of Strategy Planning to lead strategic planning, business model planning and support our portfolio and investment philosophy. While much of this role is defined, the best candidate will be comfortable in highly ambiguous conditions, extremely mentally flexible, and be able to work cross-functionally to drive alignment and clarity.
Nike's Strategic Planning team's job is to keep us moving in the right direction by establishing a strategic business planning process, authoring our one and three year strategic and business plans, and leading transformational initiatives in collaboration with cross-functional teams. Our teams are embedded at the global corporate level and throughout our business units. We frame complex and ambiguous issues, conduct consumer, competitive, and market analyses, field research, create financial models, and develop action plans. As the Director of Strategy for Valiant Labs, you will work directly with senior executive leadership to develop and execute Nike, Inc.'s global long-term growth strategy.
- Drive the business planning process for projects including development, presentation, and validation.
- Partner closely with the Finance team in support of their financial models for each project.
- Lead special strategy projects around to optimize Valiant Labs impact and on the future of Valiant Labs.
- Be the lead conduit to Corporate Strategy and other Nike business units to capture their strategies, priorities and needs, feeding into the Portfolio team so that that our focus areas serving the greatest business needs are explored.
- Be the conduit back to Corporate Strategy and other parts of Nike to share out learnings from experiments and research created in Valiant Labs.
- Join the rest of leadership in supporting & leveling up New Business teams as they pull together their 'pitches' for acquisition by Nike teams.
- Support Valiant Labs through the Nike strategic planning cycle.
- Be the strategic thought partner for the Valiant Labs Leadership Team.
- Ability to effectively manage and thrive in situations of ambiguity
- Bachelor's degree plus a minimum of 8 years' total experience (3 years' experience post MBA) in corporate development, business development, corporate strategic planning, investment banking, management consulting, finance or related fields
- MBA or advanced degree is highly preferred
- 2 additional years' experience in lieu of an advanced degree
- Previous management consulting experience at a top tier consulting firm and previous entrepreneurial experience are highly preferred
- Familiarity with corporate innovation models - incubators, accelerators, CVC, innovation labs
- Experience managing a project portfolio
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams and provide project management support
- Demonstrated ability to complete quantitative and qualitative analysis and financial models
- Proven ability to conduct and/or analyze research related to consumers, industries and competitors
- Problem structuring and strategic problem-solving skills
- Technical corporate finance and valuation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work cross-functionally
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at once