Senior Strategy and Operations Analyst - Austin, Texas, United States, 78701
MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public-school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Senior Strategy and Operations Analyst will be part of the Strategy and Operations team within the Assessment Division and is responsible for using data-driven insights to drive operational initiatives. The Strategy and Operations Analyst will collaborate with partners across the division and TEA more broadly to align metric outputs to opportunities for improvement, while developing business cases to drive next-level improvements in the Assessment Division's (~$100M operating budget per year) operations. The Analyst will regularly work with financial, operational, and customer data while conducting research and performing mission-critical strategic assessments.
The Senior Strategy and Operations Analyst performs highly advanced (senior-level) business and financial analysis. This position develops and oversees performance systems and complex financial models from which they will distill and communicate key insights and recommendations. The Analyst will also support the launch of new initiatives and pilot programs. This position works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Please note that a resume and tailored cover letter are required attachments for applying to this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants who are strongly being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal history background check.
- Collects, analyzes, and evaluates data to understand strategic trends and measure effectiveness of business operations.
- Identifies insights, creates and maintains dashboards, tracks key performance indicators, and recommends process and strategy improvements; partners with stakeholder groups to enact these recommendations.
- Helps identify the tools and designs the processes needed to implement pilot programs and concepts.
- Supports budget creation and financial decision-making through scenario modeling.
- Communicates performance trends and analyses to key partners across the organization.
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university. Bachelor's degree in a financial or analytical field (e.g. Finance, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or another related field) preferred. Master of Business Administration (MBA) a plus.
Experience: At least four (4) years of experience in a business analysis role. Consulting, data science, or other equally rigorous and quantitative experience preferred.
Substitutions: Education and experience may substitute for one another on a year-for-year basis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior project and time management ability
- Advanced Excel knowledge with experience in financial modeling and data analysis
- Passionate about working with data, measuring performance, and making decisions based on quantitative or deductive reasoning
- Knowledge of SQL a plus
- Incredible attention to detail
- A track record of performance and successful implementation across multiple concurrent projects
- Self-starter with an outcomes-based approach to management
- Fast learner who thrives in a high-performing environment
- High intellectual ceiling with the ability to solve new and dynamic operating problems
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and continuously improve
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran's preference.
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed here .
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.