Principal Engineer, Technology Development and Strategy - Bellevue, Washington, United States, 98006
Do you want to work on the latest Mobile Wireless Technologies? Do you enjoy working with and applying Technology to improve Customer Experience and solve Business Problems? Do you want to work with an exceptional team of technologists that makes an impact on T-Mobile's business every day? Do you want to feel like you are directly contributing to the success of T-Mobile, and be part of the Un-Carrier movement? Look no further! We are looking for a smart, enthusiastic, and creative technologist with a history of strategic and tactical execution. This person will be part of a team of talented professionals that will drive the evolution and expansion of the T-Mobile Wireless Network, Architecture and Technologies. We operate in a very fast-paced environment with quick decisions and light on processes. We encourage innovation and expect you to take ownership and initiative within your area of responsibility. This role provides a unique opportunity to guide and drive Technology direction for T-Mobile USA.
- Lead specific technology development initiatives within the company in order to secure T-Mobile technology leadership in 4G LTE Evolution and 5G Radio Access Network Developments
- Fill the role of subject matter expert on select 4G and 5G RAN network technologies.
- Do industry research on emerging technologies and spectrum related issues relevant to the T-Mobile business
- Evaluate and develop new innovations and technologies, as well as bringing the technologies to life via demos as well as lab and field Proof of Concept
- Assemble and lead cross-functional technical teams to execute Proof of Concept trials and testing, and apply sound Project Management processes.
- Explore, anticipate and evaluate technologies that may solve business problems, or in any way may impact T-Mobile's business
- Evaluate and establish the business benefit of select new technologies and develop cost/benefit analysis and present technology recommendations to management
- Develop technology roadmaps and plans together with vendors and technology partners to secure T-Mobile's competitiveness
- Drive and develop plans and strategies for 5G. Prototyping and influencing standards will be needed to develop a strategy that will deliver value to the TMUS business.
Technical skills and experience
- Strong background in 3G/4G/5G wireless communications systems and architectures and telecom networks, Radio Access protocols and infrastructures as well as IP and cloud.
- Robust understanding of complex networks and architecture solutions and how new technologies may impact the performance and architecture of the network.
- Significant experience in designing wireless telecommunications coverage, capacity, or functional architectures in an optimal way to maximize performance and brand differentiation, minimize cost of ownership and establish multi-year financial outlook.
- Deep understanding of what network aspects drives customer quality of experience for various services.
- Experience leading initiatives that manage network cost and performance and understanding of impacts on the company business metrics.
- Demonstrated use of technology to solve business problems, ability to do cost/benefit trade-off analysis for technology and develop business cases to justify investment in technology
- Experience in developing Executive level presentations, business case development, Executive briefings and vendor presentations
- Understanding of 3GPP Wireless Air Interface Standards
- Critical strategic thinking & ability to develop tactical plans based on broad gauge knowledge from direct and recent (in the last 3 years) participation in the global wireless industry
- Must have expertise with RAN technology test equipment including spectrum analysers, air interface scanners, and drive test tools.
- Experience working with unlicensed spectrum such as LTE-U, LAA, Wi-Fi or Wi-Gig preferably for mobile operators.
- Self-motivated and able to perform under pressure
- Ability to work in external environments that include competitors, regulators and vendors.
- Strong problem solving abilities and strong critical thinking
- Passion and enthusiasm for Technology to solve business problems
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to build consensus across teams
- Demonstrated leadership skills, with co-workers and cross-functional team
- Proven ability to mentor peers and entry-level engineers.
- Good communication skills (oral & written) essential
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience desired
Bachelors Degree. Engineering, Computer Science
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (k
T-Mobile US, Inc. offers a full range of comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, as well as matching 401(k), generous paid time off programs, phone service discounts, tuition reimbursement, free parking - not to mention a fun and business casual work environment.
T-Mobile US, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce.
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: "TMUS") is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile USA. Inc. provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile. For more information, please visit
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice. T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.