Director of Driver Strategy (Enterprise/Strategic Initiatives) - Reading , Pennsylvania, United States, 19601
US Dollar . USD -
The Penske name has long been associated with a tradition of winning. Penske Logistics, one of the fastest growing divisions of Penske Corporation, is no exception.
From a Human Resources perspective, winning is all about attracting, developing, and retaining the best associates. In order to meet the talent demands for our growing business, Penske Logistics is seeking a business leader who will be responsible for the development and implementation of recruitment and retention strategies for professional truck drivers. This
individual will report to the Senior Vice President of Human Resources and will be based in our Corporate Headquarters in Reading, PA or one of our regional offices (Cleveland, Ohio; Warren, MI; Bedford, TX; or Corona, CA).
The Director, Driver Strategy will be responsible for executing a multi-year strategic roadmap to build a market leading employee value proposition for professional truck drivers. This effort will entail developing and managing programs and processes to improve and sustain Penske's ability to recruit and retain professional truck drivers. All facets of the employee life cycle are in scope beginning with establishing first contact with a driver candidate, moving him/her through the hiring and qualification process to onboarding and
training, and ultimately focusing on driver retention. Working with Penske leadership, external consultants, regulatory agencies, etc., this individual will develop a methodology to stay close to market trends impacting recruitment and retention in order to take appropriate action to ensure Penske remains competitive in the driver marketplace.
Qualified candidates for this role will have 8 -10 years' experience in the transportation industry, a bachelor's degree, and strong understanding of the driver workforce from a candidate, associate, and company perspective. Individuals must be able to demonstrate strong conceptual thinking, project management, and communication skills from prior work experience.
- Work with marketing to deploy marketing and advertising programs that effectively communicate our brand to driver candidates.
- Recruit and develop a sales oriented driver recruiting team.
- Create effective strategies to source qualified driver candidates through intelligent use of technology, direct sourcing, cold calling, networking, referral programs, job fairs, truck stops, etc.
- Deploy a recruiting process and organization that is structured to respond quickly and professionally to both applicants and hiring managers.
- Establish and improve industry relationships with key vendors, suppliers, outside schools, and other industry support groups or agencies.
- Implement a "white glove" service that minimizes hiring process cycle time and maximizes driver touchpoints when necessary.
- Improve recruiting process visibility to both candidates and hiring managers.
- Establish a 90-day onboarding program to enhance the new hire driver experience that can be effectively delivered and managed by field operations.
- Develop and implement a periodic "check-in" program which provides additional touchpoints for the driver during their first year of employment.
- Establish a standard driver training program that begins with onboarding and details the number of classes and time frame for completion.
- Implement a train-the-trainer program to ensure leaders are technically competent and capable of delivering specified training and coaching.
- Develop a system of metrics that continually monitors exiting associates and their reasons for leaving. Provides analysis and recommendations to improve.
- Utilize associate surveys to identify opportunities to improve driver engagement and satisfaction.
- Build synergy and connectivity between recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and training processes to promote retention.