Director, Strategy and Fundraising - New York , New York, United States, 10132
Orr Group is a dynamic nonprofit management and consulting firm with offices in Washington, DC and New York City. We are hiring smart and energetic professionals with a background or interest in fundraising and development management to join our team.
Orr Group's mission is to create tailored strategies and raise resources to meet the needs of nonprofit organizations. We are able to do this through the following services: 1) fundraising, 2) strategic development consulting, 3) event marketing and management, and 4) nonprofit management. We have partnered with an incredibly diverse and influential assembly of clientele in Washington DC and New York, nationally, and internationally, to assist in the establishment of effective staff and board leadership, generating revenue, and leveraging their resources more effectively. Please visit our website at to learn more about what we do and the impact we have had in the nonprofit sector.
We are seeking a seasoned and energetic professional with background/expertise in strategy, fundraising and development management to fill the Director position at Orr Group. This position will be based in our New York City office and the candidate will manage clients regionally, nationally and internationally (as needed).
Providing high quality work and meeting or exceeding client expectations takes a talented, focused, experienced staff. Directors serve a critical function on the Orr Group team by leading our client teams and focusing primarily on creating and implementing efficient, capacity-building and fundraising plans to help our clients meet their goals. Services include integrated development management, board development, campaign management, assessments and plans, feasibility studies and plans, and strategic planning. Directors typically manage the day-to-day account operations, drive team work strategies, and serve as the principal liaison with the client. They actively lead the fundraising efforts for the client, as well as lead data collection and analysis, report writing, and client presentations.
Directors might serve as the lead on several clients over a year, or they may be assigned primarily to one key client and a few smaller assignments. Work is done on-site at the client's office (requiring weekly travel) as well as in Orr Group's office. Directors are part of a team assigned to each client. There is support for the Director to achieve the client goals, as well as oversight required from the Director.
Based on the needs of our individual clients, this position may require up to 50% of time/2.5 days per week spent at the client's site. In addition to client team leadership, Directors are expected to assume an active leadership and mentoring role within Orr Group.
- Devise and implement strategies for our clients in the following areas:
- Strategic planning
- Board development
- Feasibility studies and plans
- Development assessments and plans
- Major gifts
- Board fundraising
- Corporate giving
- Foundation giving
- Communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences, including board members, staff, donors, and outside advisors
- Collaborate with/participate in strategy and fundraising functions as necessary
- Collaborate on client work with Orr Group team members including Managing Directors, Vice Presidents, and Senior Consultants
- Build and maintain campaign fundraising planning and implementation to include leadership development, committee management, major gifts, and corporate sponsorship
- Oversee day-to-day operations and fulfillment of contracted projects
- Manage project teams and coordinate project work for others; serve as mentor and coach to team members
- Discover solutions and employ new and innovative ideas for clients
- Conduct strategic development planning as necessary and work with boards to implement development plans
- Work with clients to recruit, educate and manage their board of directors
- Manage independent contractors, as necessary
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in related field preferred
- At least 10-15 years professional nonprofit sector experience in development with a proven track record of meeting and exceeding fundraising goals
- Strong capital and/or endowment campaign strategic planning experience a plus
- Direct experience of 5 years or more successfully soliciting individual, major, corporate and foundation donors for six to nine figure gifts
- Direct experience of 3 years or more creating donor strategies as well as department or organizational strategies
- Knowledge of "best practices" in fundraising and nonprofit management
- Excellent verbal and written communication -- attention to detail and strong editing skills
- Ability to implement programs and activities that help identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual, corporate and foundation donors
- Experience with strategic or development planning
- Significant experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Significant experience synthesizing information and creating dynamic and informative reports and slide decks
- Demonstrated experience with a broad variety of development efforts including event management, annual fund campaigns, capital campaigns, corporate giving, and foundation giving
- Significant experience leading and managing staff or project teams, and meeting established goals
- Experience working with departmental budgets
- Desire to succeed in a dynamic, demanding, self-driven atmosphere - entrepreneurial spirit a must!
- Ability to balance the needs of multiple accounts
- Ability to work with many different personalities - excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel frequently
Salary and Benefits:
Orr Group offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a fun, challenging work environment. To learn more about Orr Group, please visit .
How to Apply:
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample to . Please put the job title "Director, Strategy and Fundraising - NY" alongside your name in the subject line.
Orr Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.