Director - Tax Planning & Business Advisory - Atlanta, Georgia, United States, 30301
We're looking for a candidate to fill this position in an exciting company.
- Minimize the impact of federal and state income taxes on the Company's bottom line by effective planning, risk management, documentation and research. Under the direction of the Vice President - Tax, establish and manage the levels of risk the Company is willing to take on federal and state tax positions and establish processes for evaluating tax planning ideas and assessing costs and benefits.
- Direct, lead, manage and guide the professionals in the Business Advisory Team which provides technical expertise to various departments of the Company including: Human Resources, Accounting, Legal, Treasury, Payroll, Executives, Risk Management, Real Estate, Accounts Payable and Internal Audit. Develop, train and coach members of the Team.
- Build a state tax function including planning, compliance and audit defense. Direct the development and implementation of strategies to minimize and reduce the overall state tax burden while ensuring adequate documentation for future audit defense.
- Direct and review tax aspects of all mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and restructuring. This includes the effects of such on the Tax Receivable Agreement, Tax Matters Agreement, and composition of stock ownership under the transaction that formed the Company.
- Direct the tax research and planning in the Company's financial products and transactions (i.e. credit facilities and bonds, accounting guideline changes, tax aspects of negotiation and drafting tax sharing agreements, intercompany debt agreements, management service agreements, leases, etc.).
- Direct the tax business advisory services in such Company areas as: fringe benefits, payroll tax, and compensation of executives and Board Directors (Section 409A, Section 162(m)), executive use of Company aircraft, legal entity knowledge and simplification (to reduce compliance hours and cost to the Company) and available incentives and credits.
- Education: Minimum requirements include Bachelors Degree in Accounting with CPA certificate. A Masters of Tax or JD preferred.
- Experience: Extensive experience in work environment dealing with large corporate tax affairs which may be in industry, Big 4 accounting firm or similar surroundings (at least 15+ years required).
- Skills and Demonstrated Behaviors:
- Strong technical knowledge of tax theory coupled with strong communication skills to convey complex tax concepts and results to senior management
- Strong and effective project, time, and resource management skills as well as sound business judgment.
- Ability to form relationships within the Company, with external advisors, and with tax officials, to effectively promote the Company's tax position and influence others
- Must be a solid team player and demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment across different functional areas and within different levels of staff, peers, and senior management. Instills trust by gaining confidence of co-workers, direct reports, and others
- Demonstrate strong commitment to "customer focused" operations where our "customers" are often non-Tax business groups within the Company.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to identify and solve complex technical and managerial problems, and do so in a proactive and action oriented manner