Associate Partner - Communities of Practice (Innovative Schools), NewS - Oakland, California, United States, 94601
Nationally recognized nonprofit seeks an Associate Partner to contribute to the management assistance strategy for a portfolio of new, innovative public schools by serving as the design lead for our annual communities of practice.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that invests in innovative education entrepreneurs and helps them to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate from high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PreK-12 education.
We have a passionate, inclusive, bold, accountable, and connected culture where team members at all levels have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Please visit our website at to learn more about NewSchools Venture Fund and our core values.
The Innovative Schools team seeks an Associate Partner to join a fun, passionate and dedicated group of people focused on new school development (NewSchools Invent). As a member of the largest investment team at NewSchools, you will focus primarily on designing and leading our communities of practice to support a national portfolio of innovative new schools, and contribute to the team's investment process. In this role, you will report to Frances Messano, Senior Managing Partner, and a member of NewSchools' leadership team. You will be based in our office in Oakland, CA
To learn more about our work, please review:
- Strategy overview:
- Description of NewSchools Invent:
Your legacy at NewSchools will include:
- Designing and leading communities of practice for a national portfolio of over 80 ventures who are planning and launching new public schools. You'll have the opportunity to:
- Design and implement four annual community of practice events to provide learning experiences and technical support to school leaders
- Create an experience for innovative district leaders to network with each other, expose them to existing innovative district schools and share NewSchools' funding opportunities
- Help design our approach to a continuous improvement pilot we plan to launch in SY 19-20 to ensure all schools in our portfolio help students grow academically, socially and emotionally
- Lead process to identify and monitor qualitative and quantitative metrics to measure effectiveness of community of practice events
- Build relationships and partner with external experts to provide high value programming at community of practice events
- Supporting a portfolio of innovative new schools that help students succeed within an expanded definition of success, with your coaching and support. You'll have the opportunity to:
- Support a portfolio of approximately 5-10 education entrepreneurs who are launching and leading innovative new schools and have a wide range of skills and needs
- Coach founding leadership teams to start and sustain a strong new school
- Partner with outside experts to provide targeted support that is tailored to our schools' individual needs
- Lead cycles of inquiry to promote continuous improvement towards a collective goal
- Contributing to the diligence process for prospective teams looking to launch new schools. You'll have the opportunity to:
- Conduct due diligence on prospective teams' ideas, leadership and launch plans to make investment decisions
- Document decisions in investment memos and share rationale with key stakeholders
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Deep understanding of the challenges and best practices related to launching new public schools
- Experience in designing and leading highly impactful learning experiences for adults, specifically within the context of PreK-12 schools
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Experience in leadership development, specifically as a coach to education leaders
- Ability to coach and support entrepreneurial educators to find greater success in their work
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, owning high priority tasks and multiple projects at once with minimal support
- Ability to travel up to 25% for school visits, convenings and occasional conferences
- Working style suited to a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with the ability to produce high quality work products in each program
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in PreK-12 education
- At least 5 years in schools or educational programming directly serving students, with progressive levels of leadership responsibility and experience designing and leading professional development preferred
- Experience with innovative learning environments (i.e. personalized learning, project-based learning, blended learning, competency-based education and/or progressive education) a plus
We offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.