Associate Director, Corporate Strategy - Emeryville , California, United States, 94608
4DMT is focused on attracting and retaining the best people in the industry who identify with our mission and innovative results-driven approach. We offer an inspiring and collaborative environment that encourages individual contributions, recognizes performance in multiple ways, offers uniquely generous benefits, and provides challenging opportunities for career development. Join us in creating the ultimate gene therapy products to cure genetic diseases in children and adults. 4D Molecular Therapeutics, located in Emeryville, CA.
4DMT is looking for an analytical storyteller . 4DMT is a fast-growing platform biotechnology company. As such, we operate in a complex and dynamic competitive landscape within a complex and dynamic industry. Our BD and Strategy team seeks support in following, analyzing and understanding this industry and competitive landscape. In providing this support, the AD of Strategy will analyze daily news flow, competitor/industry updates, and other changes to a wealth of available data sources.
A mission-critical contribution of our team is to convert available information into data-driven recommendations, reports and business analyses for company executives and other key stakeholders. In supporting this work, the AD of Strategy will contribute to important corporate initiatives including the development and execution of the company's portfolio and pipeline strategy. The scope for these internal and external products is variable depending on the case and can range from bullet points to concise summaries to extensively detailed deep-dives. Potential report formats include long-form write-ups (Word), spreadsheet analyses (Excel) and slide decks (PowerPoint).
As this work relates to portfolio and pipeline planning and execution, workstreams supported or managed by the AD of Strategy may include in-licensing and/or out-licensing Business Development activity as appropriate to the corporate strategy and team needs.
Support for critical decision-making and partnership processes. We seek a creative and technical analyst capable of designing, developing, analyzing and communicating information in quantitative and qualitative reports that enable management to make critical business decisions. The successful candidate will build institutional knowledge of our organization, the competition, our customers and other key stakeholders such as patients and their families, healthcare payers and providers, and regulatory bodies.
- Business and Competitive Analysis: 50% of TIME
- Providing insights into the potential impact of competitors for forecast models and strategic plans, including risks and opportunities, and alternate scenarios
- Creating and developing new competitive and market intelligence databases, dashboards and analyses and maintaining 4DMT's existing business intelligence resources and assets.
- Generating reports, dashboards and analyses for company executives to support strategic decision making, including portfolio and pipeline management and business development activities (including partnerships and strategic finance)
- Leading and coordinating competitive intelligence planning for key industry, medical and broker conferences (e.g. ASGCT, ARVO, JP Morgan etc.) with input from internal stakeholders and/or third-party agency; drives working team preparedness and communicates pre-, on-site, and post-conference coverage insights and updates
- Partner with peers across business functions at the company to gather and analyze data and other information relevant to our business intelligence efforts
- Daily News Flow and Analysis/Database Management: 25% of TIME
- Managing and analyzing daily news flow, competitor updates, changes to key competitive data sources with support from junior team members such as associates, analysts and interns
- Leading and coordinating coverage of competitor, partner and peer quarterly earnings and investor calls, providing analyses of key metrics and developments in a timely manner.
- Consistently and effectively communicating with key stakeholders to inform on timely alerts (e.g. clinical data releases, product approvals/failures) and landscape updates with development implications
- Generating reports on late-breaking developments in the industry to keep the team up to date with our dynamic industry
- General Support for Corporate Development & Strategy Group: 25% of TIME
- Supporting business development and strategic finance activities as needed
- Managing and maintaining group resources
- Maintaining upcoming event and competitor/catalyst calendars and databases including medical, industry and broker conferences.
- Responding to ad hoc needs
- A Bachelor's Degree with a focus in a relevant "hard science" field such as biology or chemistry, is required.
- The successful candidate is expected to have demonstrated additional competencies which may be earned through on-the-job experiences. Moreover, favorable additional educational experiences include:
- An undergraduate focus in economics or finance
- MBA with a focus on finance or technology strategy
- PhD in a relevant field
- PhD with 2+ years (or Bachelor's with 5+ years) relevant experience in business/competitive analysis and/or market research experience in either the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, life science investment banking or equity research, life science strategy consulting or similar field.
- Experience with financial analysis, forecasting, market segmentation and competitive intelligence tools
- Excellent communication skills in both writing and presentations
- Demonstrated understanding of biotechnology business models and pharmaceutical commercialization practices
- Proactive and flexible with changing work priorities
- Ability to prioritize workstreams in a dynamic work environment
- Strong economic, strategic and logical thinking
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to manage and interpret large amounts of data and information
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word etc.) and syndicate data providers
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities