Advisory Board Member - Suwanee , Georgia, United States, 30024
Insects for Humanity Inc
Salary: All members of the advisory board serve as volunteers for Insects for Humanity and will not receive a salary or compensation.
Location: There are no residency requirements for this position.
Time commitment: Given that this position is a volunteer position, this position will rarely require more than 5 hours per week.
Reports to: IFH's Board of Directors
Background: Any previous experience serving on a nonprofit board of directors or experience in managing a nonprofit's operations at a senior executive level is required.
Term: Advisory board term limits and term lengths will be decided during the first board meeting of IFH when governing documents, such as the bylaws, are developed and adopted.
Age Requirements: There are no age requirements for IFH's Advisory Board.
Additional Info: For more information on Insects for Humanity and its mission, please visit our board recruitment website:
Though members of IFH's Advisory Board will not serve on IFH's Board of Directors, members of the advisory board will provide invaluable strategic advice to members of the Board and the executive officers as they formulate the long- and short-term strategic vision of IFH. Given the multifaceted complexity surrounding insect farming and malnutrition/poverty alleviation, board members and executive officers may possess gaps in their understanding of these subjects. Advisory board members will help fill these gaps and empower board members and executive officers to make educated decisions that advance IFH's vision to empower poor rural communities in developing countries to break the chains of malnutrition and poverty through insect farming.
Because members of the advisory board do not serve on the board of directors, members of the advisory board do not bear fiduciary responsibilities and are not held personally liable for the decisions of IFH's Board of Directors.
Please consider applying for IFH's Advisory Board if you have any of the following:
- Extensive technical background and/or experience in entomophagy
- Extensive technical background and/or experience in human nutrition and health
- Extensive technical background and/or experience in environmental sustainability or environmental impacts of agriculture
- Extensive technical background and/or experience in the process of insect farming, from building insect farms to harvesting farmed insects
- Extensive technical background and/or experience that revolves around insect farming's potential to serve as an engine for the livelihoods of the rural poor in developing countries
- Extensive technical background and/or experience in rural economic development in developing countries
- Extensive technical background and/or experience in coordinating and implementing humanitarian aid in developing countries
- Extensive volunteer or professional experience and firsthand experience working with poor rural communities in developing countries.
- Provide strategic advice to board members and executive officers that empowers them to make knowledgeable decisions
- Educate board members and executive officers of the technical details of IFH's operational plan
· Help identify any weaknesses in IFH's operational plan and communicate with board members to ensure that these weaknesses are amended
Essential Personal Qualities
- Demonstrates commitment to Insects for Humanity, its strategic objectives, and its purpose
- Demonstrates a willingness and an ability to commit time to serve as an effective advisory board member
- Demonstrates a strong ability to teach and communicate clearly with others
- Demonstrates excellent and objective judgment
- Demonstrates the ability to think creatively and innovate in order to develop and advance the strategic objectives of IFH
- Demonstrates an ambition to help expand and upscale IFH
- Please refer to the job description summary above to see what experience you need to apply for a position on IFH's advisory board.
- Any prior experience of serving on an advisory board for a nonprofit or for-profit organization
Knowledge and Skills
- Broad and comprehensive knowledge regarding a technical topic relevant to IFH's mission. Please refer to the job description summary above for a list of these technical topics.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong ability to teach others
- Strong ability to translate complex academic and technical topics in a manner that is comprehensible by adult professionals without any experience in the topic
Please note that the responsibilities of the advisory board are dynamic. Some responsibilities may be added, removed, or amended in response to the changing needs of IFH.